Become a Business Champion
Our team is growing! We offer competitive salaries and benefits, along with the opportunity to join our public-private partnership to promote business growth in Montgomery County, Maryland.
As part of its FY19 strategic plan of action, MCEDC is seeking proposals to strengthen specific elements of the local business ecosystem. This is an open-ended solicitation, designed to creatively address challenges and opportunities for entrepreneurs, start-ups, and growth stage businesses in Montgomery County, MD. VIEW & DOWNLOAD
Director of Strategic Initiatives
Overview: The Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation (MCEDC) brings a big and bold approach to achieving greater economic competitiveness and prosperity across Montgomery County, MD.
A 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation with a fresh public/private perspective, entrepreneurial spirit, and proactive approach to economic development, the MCEDC is focused on maximizing Montgomery County’s rich diversity of people, talent, and business expertise to keep the county at the leading edge of today’s competitive economic development environment.
Overseen by a Board of Directors with both public and private sector representation, the MCEDC is committed to growing the county’s vibrant business community and leveraging current strengths and advantages to build an even stronger, more stable, and diverse future economy that benefits all members of the community.
The Director of Strategic Initiatives is an exempt, full-time position that leads MCEDC’s Strategic Initiatives team. This position reports to the Vice President/Chief of Staff. This position works with business leaders to develop, implement and evaluate projects and programs that address specific challenges and opportunities within Montgomery County’s existing and emerging industries.
- Implement multi-year economic development projects and programs for Maryland’s most populous county
- Manage the Strategic Initiatives team, whose objectives include diversifying the local economy, providing increased access to economic opportunities, promoting technology transfer, fostering entrepreneurship and implementing growth plans for emerging industries
- Perform project management duties for specific special projects
- Provide counseling/coaching, oversight and support for team members
- Provide strategic guidance to the Vice Presidents and CEO
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Energetic, pro-active, and interdisciplinary-minded, with a commitment to the good stewardship of public funds
- Experience developing, managing, and completing high-visibility projects in a cross-functional team environment
- Experience with public-private partnerships, community and economic development, advocacy, budgeting, grant-writing, and communications/public speaking.
- Comfort interfacing with elected officials and business leaders
- Demonstrated ability to be a successful team lead, including providing guidance/mentoring to develop team members’ strengths
- Superb communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen actively and present clearly and effectively in positive or negative situations, and to respond well to questions
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly and informatively
- Adaptable to changes in the work environment, managing competing demands, changing approaches or methods to best fit the situation, and dealing with unexpected events
- Hold a valid U.S. driver’s license or a U.S. Passport
- Availability to work some evenings and weekends
Preferred education and experience:
- Experience working with economic or community development agencies or as a business consultant
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of the Washington DC metro area or other large MSAs
- Proficiency in working with Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiarity with standard office equipment
Description of physical demands and work environment:
- Must be able to travel throughout the county to companies, partner organizations, meetings, and events
- Must be able to occasionally travel outside of the region
- Must be able to use office equipment and computers
- Position may require moderate lifting of supplies and materials from time to time
- The working environment is a general office environment with a moderate noise level
Job Type: Full-time, Exempt
Job Location: Montgomery County, MD
Required education: Bachelor’s degree
Required experience: Minimum of 7 years progressively responsible experience
EEO Statement: Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.