Become a Business Champion
Our team is growing! We offer competitive salaries and benefits, along with the opportunity to join our public-private partnership to promote business growth in Montgomery County, Maryland.
Business Operations Assistant
The Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation (MCEDC) brings a big and bold approach to achieving greater economic competitiveness and prosperity across Montgomery County, MD.
A 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation with a fresh public/private perspective, entrepreneurial spirit, and proactive approach to economic development, the MCEDC is focused on maximizing Montgomery County’s rich diversity of people, talent, and business expertise to keep the county at the leading edge of today’s competitive economic development environment.
Overseen by a Board of Directors with both public and private sector representation, the MCEDC is committed to growing the county’s vibrant business community and leveraging current strengths and advantages to build an even stronger, more stable, and diverse future economy that benefits all members of the community.
The Business Operations Assistant is an exempt, full-time position and serves as a key member of the MCEDC’s business operations team. The Business Operations Assistant will be responsible for helping the company function with efficiency, organization, and purpose. We are looking for a candidate to join our operations team who is organized, shows meticulous attention to detail, and is adept at anticipating needs. The ideal candidate has strong prioritization skills, is solution focused, and has the ability to work well with team members both in person and virtually.
Job Type: Full-time, Exempt
Job Location: Montgomery County, MD
Required education: Bachelor’s Degree
Required experience: Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Resumes & Cover Letters: Should be sent to email@example.com
+ See More
The Business Operations Assistant will be responsible for performing a wide range of clerical accounting duties and will be tasked with ensuring accuracy and consistency of transactions within the Accounting functions. The Business Operations Assistant role will focus on Accounts Receivable (AR), Accounts Payable (AP), internal auditing, report generation, and assisting accounting firms as requested. In addition, the Business Operations Assistant will be responsible for supporting the Vice President of Operations with wide range of human resources duties.
Overall, the Operations Assistant will be responsible for:
- General Accounting Support including:
- Depositing checks
- Maintaining AR and AP integrity
- Supporting accounting operations by filing documents, running reports, reconciliation of accounts, and various data entry functions
- Maintaining vendor files
- Managing invoicing process (including reviewing invoices and payment requests; conducting invoice reconciliation; managing invoice approval process; and processing invoices for payment
- Assisting accounting firms with other assigned tasks
- Human Resources (HR) Administration including:
- Assisting Vice President of Operations with HR function (including employee onboarding; benefits administration; timesheet system; payroll administration; HR file maintenance)
- Performing other HR duties as assigned
- Business Operations including:
- Supporting Vice President of Operations with assigned projects
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively with vendors and office staff
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, handle multiple projects simultaneously and autonomously, and keep tasks/projects on track
- Be trustworthy, reliable, have strong work ethic, and ability to keep strict confidentiality
- Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Superb interpersonal skills and strong team player
- Customer service oriented
- Be able to use common business machines (copiers, scanners, etc.)
- Have a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, as well as DropBox and Adobe Acrobat
- Holds a valid U.S. driver’s license, no criminal history, and a clean background check
- General Accounting
- Working knowledge of general accounting procedures
- Working knowledge of AR and AP
- Proficient in data entry and data management
- Experience with Quickbooks strongly preferred
- Experience with Bill.com payables/receivables software strongly preferred (or equivalent translatable experience)
- Human Resources
- Experience with electronic timesheet systems, payroll systems, employee benefits laws and regulations, and benefit programs (including medical; dental; vision; 401K; life insurance; and disability insurance) strongly preferred
Preferred education and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- 3+ years of relevant experience in any combination of payable and general accounting experience or benefits administration
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial/start-up environment
Description of physical demands and work environment:
- Position may require moderate lifting of supplies and materials from time to time
- The working environment is a general office environment with a moderate noise level
Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.