make a difference this holiday season
Gift Outside the Box
This holiday season, there are many cool ways to gift outside the box. You can give an experience like ice skating or yoga lessons. Consider gifting greener. Find out how you can buy local. The Montgomery County Dept. of Environmental Protection and partners have created an exciting program to explore.
When you shop, look for the MoCo Made sticker which designates locally-produced foods and other products.
Support local foods and farmer's markets
Purchase locally made goods
Buy local drinks
find volunteer opportunities
The Montgomery County Volunteer Center site allows you to search by keyword, organization or area to find the volunteer opportunity that works for you. Students can earn service learning hours while volunteering.
Find an opportunity by area close to home or work:
- Rockville offers volunteer opportunities ranging from community centers and nature centers to inclusion companions.
- Gaithersburg looks for food pantry support, drivers and call center support.
- Bethesda has a need for volunteer drivers, special project and donation coordinators.
Find an opportunity by areas of interest:
- Habitat for Humanity encourages youth partners and volunteers.
- Love the parks?
- Help preserve the natural Agricultural Reserve
Give Back to Our Community
#MoCo365 promotes the many diverse businesses in Montgomery County, which includes some worthy nonprofit organizations. At holiday time, consider donating to or getting involved with some of the many nonprofits we are lucky to have in our own backyard. Watch the videos >
Here are just a few outstanding organizations highlighted in the #MoCo365 series:
- Cornerstone Montgomery: Largest provider of behavioral health services in the County – and jobs for people with differing abilities.
- Manna Food Center: Fighting hunger, feeding hope. Find out about the Holiday Hunger Drive.
- Montgomery Parks Foundation: Supports the green spaces for our 419 parks.
- Nonprofit Village: Provides shared space, serves and collaboration opportunities for area nonprofits.
- A Wider Circle: Give the gift of love. Supports families and children in poverty.