Select your Legal Business Structure & File your requesT

What business form will work best for you?

There are several types to choose from: Sole Proprietorship, General Partnership, Corporation, Benefit Corporation, Limited Liability Company (LLC), Limited Partnership, Limited Liability Partnership, Benefit Corporation, or Non-Profit.

Each structure has certain advantages and disadvantages so before making a selection, we recommend obtaining advice from an accountant and attorney, or professional advisor.


Maryland Business Express – about Limited Liability Partnerships (LLP) and Corporations, along with other helpful information.

Maryland Department of Commerce FAQs - A helpful resource to learn what you need to do to get started, and where to find the information.

Seek free advice and mentorship opportunities

SCORE offers many free resources, including access to advisors and mentorship opportunities. Additional resources are available at the  Corridor Region of the Maryland Small Business Development Center.

Research and register your business name

Check if the name you want is available, research the availability of your domain name, complete proper registrations and consider if trademarking is needed.

Obtaining a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Easy to do and available directly from the IRS. EIN is needed to: start a new business, hire employees, create a pension plan, form a corporation or partnership, and more.

Resources to help

Maryland Business Express offers resources and demos on registrations, filings and other business start-up needs. 

Go Daddy – Check domain name availability

U.S. Patent and Trademark Office - While not required, consider your interest in getting a trademark on your business name.

Register for tax accounts with Maryland

Maryland Comptroller's Office has a dedicated section for information needed by business taxpayers.

The Maryland Combined Registration Form is used to establish your tax accounts, which may include:

  • Income tax withholding account
  • Sales and use tax license
  • Transient vendor license
  • Unemployment insurance account