Become a Business Champion
Our team is growing! We offer competitive salaries and benefits, along with the opportunity to join our public-private partnership to promote business growth in Montgomery County, Maryland.
RESEARCH, PLANNING & POLICY ANALYST
The Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation (MCEDC) brings a big and bold approach to achieving greater economic competitiveness and prosperity across Montgomery County, MD.
A 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation with a fresh public/private perspective, entrepreneurial spirit, and proactive approach to economic development, the MCEDC is focused on maximizing Montgomery County’s rich diversity of people, talent, and business expertise to keep the county at the leading edge of today’s competitive economic development environment.
Overseen by a Board of Directors with both public and private sector representation, the MCEDC is committed to growing the county’s vibrant business community and leveraging current strengths and advantages to build an even stronger, more stable, and diverse future economy that benefits all members of the community.
The Research, Planning & Policy Analyst is an exempt full-time position and serves as a key member of the MCEDC’s strategic initiatives team. This position reports to the VP and Chief of Staff and will be primarily responsible for conducting the research analysis necessary to support MCEDC special projects, RFI responses and marketing campaigns.
Job Type: Full-time, Exempt
Job Location: Montgomery County, MD
Required education: Master’s Degree
Required experience: Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Resumes & Cover Letters: Should be sent to email@example.com
+ See More
The Research, Planning & Policy Analyst will support the VP and Chief of Staff through activities including (but not limited to):
- Monitoring relevant business-related partner agency activities, including the Montgomery County Planning Board, County Council, etc.
- Collaborating with business development specialists to identify business needs
- Providing data to secure new MCEDC resources
- Developing workflows to leverage new and existing resources
- Assisting with the management of special projects (as needed)
- Providing geospatial support in coordination with Research Manager
- Using ArcOnline to develop Story Maps—and other presentations with a geospatial component—to enhance MCEDC communications materials in coordination with marketing team and Research Manager
- Tracking and refining metrics related to MCEDC’s strategic plan
- Conducting research analysis, literature reviews, and collection of best practices relevant to MCEDC mission
- Provides research and analytic support to MCEDC management with timely and relevant research, data analysis, data interpretation, and information to support MCEDC’s effectiveness and performance.
- Supports strategic planning activities by compiling, analyzing and presenting data to support assessment and decision making in various areas including targeted industries, emerging industries, proposed policy changes and other relevant topics.
- Works collaboratively with MCEDC leadership in establishing benchmarks, key performance indicators, score cards, dashboards, and other metrics and performance measures.
- Responds to requests for data research and analysis to support the MCEDC’s mission, works with MCEDC management to identify, extract and report data from appropriate data systems.
- Designs and administers surveys and other data collection instruments; collects and analyzes data; and prepares narrative and statistical reports.
- Prepares data for use in reports, charts, tables and graphs that provide information on measures relating to the local business climate and MCEDC’s effectiveness.
- Develops and presents training to MCEDC staff on accessing and using data to further MCEDC’s mission.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Demonstrated experience in accessing and analyzing data sets.
- Superb communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen actively and present clearly and effectively in positive or negative situations, and to respond well to questions
- Writes clearly and informatively and varies writing style to meet needs
- Independent and strategic thinker with the capacity to generate new ideas and act creatively
- Strong team player
- Adaptable to changes in the work environment, managing competing demands, changing approaches or methods to best fit the situation, and dealing with frequent changes or unexpected events
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, to meet tight deadlines within budgetary constraints, and to handle multiple projects simultaneously and autonomously
- Holds a valid U.S. driver’s license
Preferred education and experience:
- Experience working in an economic development organization
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial environment
- Master’s Degree
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Proficiency in working with Microsoft Office Suite and Salesforce or other CRM
- Familiarity with standard office equipment
Description of physical demands and work environment:
- Must be able to travel throughout the county to companies, partner organizations, meetings, and events
- Must be able to occasionally travel outside of the region to events and trade shows
- Must be able to use office equipment and computers
- Position may require moderate lifting of supplies and materials from time to time
- The working environment is a general office environment with a moderate noise level
Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.